If you've arrived at this page, you likely know by now how much conflicting information is out there about whether using disposables or cloth is best for your baby, best for your family, best for the planet. The decision only becomes more complicated by the fact that everyone you ask (or don't) seems to have their own opinion on the subject!
At Diaper Stork, we believe in cloth for three reasons: comfort, cost, and convenience. We also believe that only you know what is best for your family, so we are here to support (not pressure) you! Please feel free to reach out to us if you have questions or need any information that will help you make a more informed decision.
Okay, none of us remember exactly what a diaper felt like when we were itty bitty.
But given the choice between 100% cotton underwear and underwear made with plastics, polymers, gels, and crystals, we know which would be more comfortable!Add to that the fact that babies who wear cloth diapers experience way less diaper rash than babies diapered in disposables, and we think cloth diapers win the Comfort category, hands-down.
ConvenienceThe number one concern of parents weighing cloth vs. disposable diapers for their little ones seems to be one of convenience and time.
With cloth, you'll spend a day or two learning your favorite folding techniques. Given the 2 - 2.5 years that your baby will be in diapers, this is no time at all.
So, here is a nitty-gritty comparison of the actual daily process of using our cloth diaper service vs. disposables:
- Diaper changes require an additional step of fastening a diaper cover over the diaper
- Dirty diapers are tossed into the provided diaper pail instead of the trash
- Once a week you'll place the diaper pail liner filled with dirties out on your front step
Here are a couple more convenience considerations, in no particular order:
- We deliver a full week's worth of diapers so there are no "oh crap we're out of diapers" runs to the store
- Babies potty train up to 12 months earlier when diapered in cloth vs. disposable. That could mean more than 2,500 diaper changes that you don't have to do!
- The ability to get a perfect fit with prefold cloth diapers means no leaking and no blowouts. Instead of spending time changing crib bedding, washing poo out of Baby's [your] favorite onesie, or hunting down the stain remover for your [friend's] new rug, you're cooing over your beautiful baby.
We all know that there are things we can do to live more sustainably, but it's easy to feel as though your efforts are too small to make a difference. Given the 6,000 to 8,000 diaper changes your baby will go through by the time he or she is potty trained, the cloth vs. disposable diaper choice is one that can have a very real impact on the world we leave behind for our children and grandchildren.
In the U.S. alone, we put around 20 billion disposable diapers into the landfills each year (that's more than 38,000 every minute!). Each of those diapers takes 500 years to decompose.
So, each diaper is being used for 2-3 hours and then put into a landfill where it will remain for the lifetimes of our children, and grandchildren, and great-grandchildren, and well... you get the picture.
Using a diaper service might feel like a luxury, but it's actually an affordable one! Diaper Stork's flat monthly rate is on par with the more eco-friendly disposable options out there, especially given that your little one may potty train up to 12 months sooner with cloth diapers!
plus... they're Cute!There is just no question that reusable cloth diapers and cloth diapering accessories are cuter and more fashionable than their disposable counterparts.
Don't believe us? Check out some of our cloth diaper covers here!